Office Assistant - HQ Office
Organization Overview: Sheltering Arms strengthens the education, wellbeing, and development of high-need children, adults, and families across the New York metro area. We serve nearly 20,000 people a year from the South Bronx to Far Rockaway. Through compassion, innovation, and partnership, we respond to our community’s greatest needs and enable individuals to reach the greatest heights of their potential. Joining our team is an opportunity to collaborate with hundreds of dedicated colleagues who represent diverse backgrounds and talents as we work together to make a measurable impact for our neighbors in need. Every role at Sheltering Arms brings with it new opportunities for advancement and development so that team members can achieve their professional goals while helping others reach for theirs.
Job Summary: Responsible for serving as the first point of contact for the public, visitors, clients and staff visiting any Sheltering Arms Office or site and assisting to ensure efficient and tidy ongoing operations throughout our office environments
- Meet and greet visitors, vendors, staff, and clients in a professional manner
- Answer and direct incoming telephone calls to appropriate staff
- Check Sheltering Arms general inquiry email account and direct inquiries to the appropriate staff
- Retrieve all messages left overnight with the answering service and forward messages to the appropriate staff.
- Receive incoming calls and take messages for staff members whose voice mail might be filled and make sure that all messages are given to appropriate staff members.
- Maintain and update staff phone/email directories and seat assignment charts
- Assist social workers/supervisors with needs as it pertains to family visitation or other client-facing business.
- Conduct office open/close procedures to ensure Sheltering Arms sites are accessible during business hours and secured during overnight hours
- Maintain relief schedules and arrange for substitutions in times of emergency, vacation, or illness.
- Maintain the appearance of the Reception Area and various common office areas
- Become familiar with agency programs to ensure inquires can be appropriately directed
- Perform clerical duties such as typing, filing, and shredding.
- Perform maintenance inspections and occasional light/minor maintenance responsibilities to ensure facilities are kept in good condition
- Conduct inventories and process orders of office, kitchen, and cleaning supplies
- Observe and report facility repairs that are required in office and program sites
- Collect and reconcile records related to Sheltering Arms Fleet/Vehicles
- Receive and catalog, incoming shipments and deliveries
- After proper training, monitor and operate Fire Alarm panels
- Assist in conducting fire drills and take part in building safety plans
- Prepare outgoing mail for post office.
- Sort and distribute incoming mail to staff
- Other related tasks that may be assigned
- High School Diploma required.
- A minimum of six months office and receptionist experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to handle busy telephone system and reception area simultaneously.
- Ability to work well under pressure, handle confidential information and use discretion.
- Bilingual – Spanish/English a plus
- This is a Full-Time position
- For this role, COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement of the job.
Pay Rate: $15.50/hr
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
It is the policy of Sheltering Arms Children and Family Service that the Agency wholly complies with the equal treatment of all employees and applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination as to an individual’s perceived or actual race, creed, color, national origin, alienate, citizenship status, gender, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, partnership status, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, or veteran status in all employment decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, training and apprenticeship, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, layoff and termination and all other terms and conditions of employment.
Physical Requirements: Must have the ability to complete all standard administrative and support tasks including but not limited to climbing up and down stairs, operation of computers/phones/fax/printer/copy machine, and the ability to lift boxes, furniture, and equipment up to 30lbs. Must be able to travel from the various locations and sites of Sheltering Arms Children and Family Services.