Youth Counselor, Safe Haven Jamaica
- Jamaica, Queens, NY
- Full Time
- Youth Services
- Entry Level
Sheltering Arms strengthens the education, wellbeing, and development of high-need children, adults, and families across the New York metro area. We serve nearly 20,000 people a year from the South Bronx to Far Rockaway. Through compassion, innovation, and partnership, we respond to our community’s greatest needs and enable individuals to reach the greatest heights of their potential. Joining our team is an opportunity to collaborate with hundreds of dedicated colleagues who represent diverse backgrounds and talents as we work together to make a measurable impact for our neighbors in need. Every role at Sheltering Arms brings with it new opportunities for advancement and development so that team members can achieve their professional goals while helping others reach for theirs.
Sheltering Arms is currently seeking a Youth Counselor in our Youth Services program, in our Residential Homes in Jamaica, Queens. This program operates two, 12-bed Transition Living Facilities that provide support to at-risk homeless and runaway youth, ages 16-21, providing them with the skills to achieve long-term independence, stability, and economic self-sufficiency in preparation for living independently on their own. The Youth Counselor will be responsible for the oversight of the residents and location, providing a safe, secure, non-judgmental, respectful and supportive living environment for all residents, acting as a source of ongoing support and encouragement to all residents, while enforcing a structured environment. The Youth Counselor will also provide skill building workshops to enhance our residents' independent living skills. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Developing and facilitating skill building programs and providing coaching
- Providing non-judgmental listening and encouragement, while maintaining professional boundaries
- Monitoring residents and household operations, including floor/ room checks every 30 minutes; answering telephones & taking messages; and maintaining referral and intakes logs
- Keeping common and house storage areas organized and clean; preparing for new residents; and ensuring the residents are completing assigned daily chores
- Assisting with crisis intervention
- Assisting and performing in organizing and putting away all food orders and donations
- High School Diploma or GED required
- Between 1-2 years of experience working in the field of human services
- Experience conducting groups and developing appropriate and relevant youth programming
- Ability to handle crisis situations with minimum supervision
- For this role, COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement of the job.
* Full Time, 3pm-11pm positions available, in Jamaica, Queens.
Pay Rate: $17.48/hr
It is the policy of Sheltering Arms Children and Family Services that the Agency wholly complies with the equal treatment of all employees and applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination as to an individual’s perceived or actual race, creed, color, national origin, alienate, citizenship status, gender, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, partnership status, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, or veteran status in all employment decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, training and apprenticeship, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, layoff and termination and all other terms and conditions of employment.
Physical Requirements: Must have the ability to complete all standard administrative and support tasks including but not limited to climbing up and down stairs, typing, operation of computers/phones/fax/printer/copy machine, and the ability to lift boxes, furniture, and equipment up to 30lbs. Must be able to travel from the various locations and sites of Sheltering Arms Children and Family Services