Part-Time Weekend Cook
Organization Overview: Sheltering Arms strengthens the education, wellbeing, and development of high need children, adults, and families across the New York metro area. We serve nearly 20,000 people a year from the South Bronx to Far Rockaway. Through compassion, innovation, and partnership, we respond to our community’s greatest needs and enable individuals to reach the greatest heights of their potential. Joining our team is an opportunity to collaborate with hundreds of dedicated colleagues who represent diverse backgrounds and talents as we work together to make a measurable impact for our neighbors in need. Every role at Sheltering Arms brings with it new opportunities for advancement and development so that team members can achieve their professional goals while helping others reach for theirs.
Job Summary: Prepares and cooks meals in accordance with NYC Dept. of Health and NYS OCFS requirements. Maintain cleanliness and safety in all areas of food handling, appliances, storage of supplies and cooking utensils space.
- Develop menus in collaboration with nutritionist/dietician, and input from youth ensuring that the meals are well balanced and meet dietary needs of residents
- Prepares and purchases food based on menu.
- Prepare meals daily for residents (up to 12 residents) and record menu substitutions.
- Prepares holiday meals for residents and families.
- Monitors amount of food consumed by residents and maintain proper nutritional standards.
- Makes available food in the appropriate amount for substitute cook.
- Cleans up after meals and disposes of garbage.
- Maintain cleanliness and safety in all areas of food handling, appliances, storage of supplies and eating and cooking utensil space.
- Report immediately to Site Director any problem or accident occurring in the kitchen.
- Keep written records of all meals served.
- Maintain the kitchen’s inventory.
- Other related tasks that may be assigned.
Shift: Saturday and Sunday 9AM-5PM
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Food Handler Certification required within first week of hire and recertified as needed demonstrate understanding and ability to follow the health codes pertaining to safety and sanitation of the work area and cooking utensils; personal grooming; and how to properly prepare food.
- 2+ years experience with food handling required
- Ability to relate to juvenile offenders
- Positive attitude and professional demeanor.
- Proficiency in writing
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
It is the policy of Sheltering Arms that the Agency wholly complies with the equal treatment of all employees and applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination as to an individual’s perceived or actual race, creed, color, national origin, alienate, citizenship status, gender, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, partnership status, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, or veteran status in all employment decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, training and apprenticeship, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, layoff and termination and all other terms and conditions of employment.