Family Peer Advocate
Organization Overview: Sheltering Arms strengthens the education, wellbeing, and development of high-need children, adults, and families across the New York metro area. We serve nearly 20,000 people a year from the South Bronx to Far Rockaway. Through compassion, innovation, and partnership, we respond to our community’s greatest needs and enable individuals to reach the greatest heights of their potential. Joining our team is an opportunity to collaborate with hundreds of dedicated colleagues who represent diverse backgrounds and talents as we work together to make a measurable impact for our neighbors in need. Every role at Sheltering Arms brings with it new opportunities for advancement and development so that team members can achieve their professional goals while helping others reach for theirs.
About the Program: Family Strong is a peer support program for youth and their families.
Job Summary: The Family Peer Advocate provides peer support, peer mentoring and system navigation to a case load of families.
- Assist families in obtaining and maintaining high functioning by providing frequent coaching and peer to peer mentoring.
- Advocate for needs and best interest of assigned families.
- Act as a source of support for families and provide appropriate feedback to promote success.
- Participate in treatment team meetings, service plan reviews, intake meetings and discharge conferences to represent the needs and best interest of assigned families.
- Provide families a range of family support services according to the family, youth and child’s needs, strengths and challenges.
- Assist families with identifying needs, strengths, challenges and goals, and developing an individualized care plan.
- Monitor the family’s progress in achieving goals detailed in the plan.
- Collaborate with other providers and community supports to help families meet their needs.
- Collaborate with families to assess their needs and link them to appropriate resources in their community.
- Facilitate / co-facilitate parenting education and support groups.
- Organize and support social and recreational activities for families.
- Work with socially, economically, culturally, and ethnically diverse groups in a mutually respectful manner using a strength-based and flexible approach.
- Conduct home, office, and visits according to each family’s needs.
- Complete training for Family Peer Advocate Credentialing.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be a parent or caregiver of a child or family member identified with a mental health disorder, behavioral issues, received special educational services or has been involved in the child welfare system.
- Ability to communicate well with others and motivate individuals towards personal goals.
- Bilingual English Spanish strongly preferred.
- HS Diploma or equivalent required.
- Knowledge of computer systems such as word, excel and google workplace.
- Ability to travel throughout NYC.
- For this role, COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement of the job.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
It is the policy of Sheltering Arms that the Agency wholly complies with the equal treatment of all employees and applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination as to an individual’s perceived or actual race, creed, color, national origin, alienate, citizenship status, gender, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, partnership status, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, or veteran status in all employment decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, training and apprenticeship, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, layoff and termination and all other terms and conditions of employment.