Sheltering Arms strengthens the education, wellbeing, and development of high-need children, adults, and families across the New York metro area. We serve nearly 20,000 people a year from the South Bronx to Far Rockaway. Through compassion, innovation, and partnership, we respond to our community’s greatest needs and enable individuals to reach the greatest heights of their potential. Joining our team is an opportunity to collaborate with hundreds of dedicated colleagues who represent diverse backgrounds and talents as we work together to make a measurable impact for our neighbors in need. Every role at Sheltering Arms brings with it new opportunities for advancement and development so that team members can achieve their professional goals while helping others reach for theirs.
Job Summary: Sheltering Arms Children and Family Services seeks a motivated Senior Human Resources Generalist for our Human Resources Department. In this role, you will manage the HR team of generalist for the Adolescent Residents Care and Youth Services Program with a diverse set of responsibilities including, HR tasks and special projects.
- Primary interface between program staff, managers, and HR team
- Responsible for making sure all projects and initiatives are met
- Strong ability to assess the needs of primary programs: Adolescent Residents Care and Youth services, then collaborate with specialist and HR team to properly service and meet the needs of programs
- Advise program managers on the resolution of employee relations and performance management issues, provide coaching, counseling, progressive discipline, and conflict resolution
- Investigate and resolves a variety of employee relations issues (e.g. EEOC claims, harassment, discrimination, ethics, resolve, etc.) with a focus on the employee experience and a positive business outcome
- Assist with the administration of performance improvement plans, intake of employee leaves, FMLA, and COIVID related issues
- Promote employee engagement through regular, personal contact resulting in a positive employee relations atmosphere
- Capability to manage difficult conversations and stressful situations
- Collaborates with HR and businesS unit leadership to develop and implement tactical and strategic plans to support business objectives
- Manage onboarding process of new employees
- Performs other duties as required
- Minimum: 5 years of experience with employee relation issues
- Total of 8-10 years of human resources experience
- Must possess a sound knowledge of NY employment law and employment leaves
- Ability to develop strong relationships across a diverse client base and to inspire trust and credibility with managers at all levels and with HR colleagues
- Desired candidate possesses good judgment, strong problem solving, relationship building and critical thinking skills. I would also require 1-2 years of supervisory work experience
- Strong client focus with outstanding judgement, critical thinking, and analytical skills
- SHRM certificate preferred
- Experience in nonprofit or related field preferred
- Supervisory experience preferred
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
It is the policy of Sheltering Arms that the Agency wholly complies with the equal treatment of all employees and applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination as to an individual’s perceived or actual race, creed, color, national origin, alienate, citizenship status, gender, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, partnership status, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, or veteran status in all employment decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, training and apprenticeship, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, layoff and termination and all other terms and conditions of employment.