Family Services Worker
- Corona, Queens, NY
- Full Time
- Early Childhood Education
- Mid Level
Early Childhood Family Support Worker- Malcolm X Day Care, Corona, Queens
Sheltering Arms strengthens the education, wellbeing, and development of high-need children, adults, and families across the New York metro area. We serve nearly 20,000 people a year from the South Bronx to Far Rockaway. Through compassion, innovation, and partnership, we respond to our community’s greatest needs and enable individuals to reach the greatest heights of their potential. Joining our team is an opportunity to collaborate with hundreds of dedicated colleagues who represent diverse backgrounds and talents as we work together to make a measurable impact for our neighbors in need. Every role at Sheltering Arms brings with it new opportunities for advancement and development so that team members can achieve their professional goals while helping others reach for theirs.
Job Summary: The Family Services Worker meets all goals associated with outreach and recruitment of children/families; Provides families with community resources and ensures that the family is able to reach short and long term goals.
- Continually recruits and oversees the eligibility and enrollment of children
- Conducts numerous home visits throughout the year and identifies strengths and opportunities
- Advocates energetically for parents and provides community resources
- Provides referral services
- Promotes parental involvement and provides ongoing support in the program
- Transports family to appointments
- Completes all documentation and reports in a timely manner
- Participates in staff trainings and meetings
- Maintains confidentiality of all client records
- Develop and plan activities for children that will support their optimal growth and enhance the relationship between parent and child.
- Organize and facilitate parent-child socialization groups and parent workshops.
- Coordinate medical, dental and other community-based services that will offer comprehensive support to children and their families.
- Maintain accurate case records to meet program, state, and federal guidelines.
- Other duties as assigned
- Associate Degree in Human Services or related field
- Familiarity with the community, community resources, and locals
- Prior experience advocating for families preferred
- Must have an extremely flexible schedule and be comfortable working evenings as necessary
- Must be comfortable traveling throughout NYC often
- Bilingual Spanish/English preferred
- For this role, COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement of the job
- First Aid and CPR trainings required and recertified as needed
- For this role, COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement of the job.
It is the policy of Sheltering Arms that the Agency wholly complies with the equal treatment of all employees and applicants for employment, without unlawful discrimination as to race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status or veteran status in all employment decisions, including, but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, training and apprenticeship, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, layoff, termination and all other terms and conditions of employment.