Sheltering Arms strengthens the education, wellbeing, and development of high-need children, adults, and families across the New York metro area. We serve nearly 20,000 people a year from the South Bronx to Far Rockaway. Through compassion, innovation, and partnership, we respond to our community’s greatest needs and enable individuals to reach the greatest heights of their potential. Joining our team is an opportunity to collaborate with hundreds of dedicated colleagues who represent diverse backgrounds and talents as we work together to make a measurable impact for our neighbors in need. Every role at Sheltering Arms brings with it new opportunities for advancement and development so that team members can achieve their professional goals while helping others reach for theirs.
Sheltering Arms is looking to hire a Maintenance worker for our of Facilities Planning & Management (FP&M) Department, the Maintenance Worker shall:
- Reporting directly to the Manager, Maintenance Operations or Maintenance Supervisor, within the Department of Facilities Planning & Management (FP&M), the Maintenance Worker shall:
- Troubleshoot and perform maintenance/repair/miscellaneous work using a variety of trades skills; including but not limited to
- plumbing (stoppages, caulking, shut-offs, flooding/sewage conditions, snaking),
- electrical (replacement of plugs, outlets, switches, bulbs and light fixtures),
- carpentry (drywall, plaster, sheetrock, painting, floors, windows, ceilings, doors, frames, furniture repair, hanging/mounting fixtures, equipment, shelving),
- appliances (replacing motors, switches, gaskets and burners for dishwashers, freezers, refrigerators, stoves, TVs and other electronic equipment ),
- window treatments (screens, blinds and shades),
- Outdoor, landscaping, lawns/tree/plant care, winter weather preparation and snow/ice removal, repairs to play/outdoor equipment
- rooftop (assess/repair leaks and problems with gutters, water penetration)
- assembling furniture and equipment
- pickup delivery of mail, supplies, equipment, furniture, donations, etc.
- Other duties, as required and assigned
- Demonstrate knowledge of the common hazards and necessary safety precautions and be comfortable in the use of tools, equipment, materials pertinent to the trades;
- Ensure building cleanliness, to achieve a safe and healthy environment for staff, clients, residents and visitors within Sheltering Arms’ sites, including but not limited to floor care, garbage/recycling removal, vacuum/shampooing carpets, dusting/mopping, as needed
- Reporting to supervisor and other FP&M facility conditions, inventory shortages and other observations/ideas for improvement in office & program sites
- Communicate with and work directly with program and other office staff within the Sheltering Arms’ community in a professional and respectful manner, to assess building conditions and determine plans for repair/upgrade to address problems identified
- Maintain outstanding customer service using a professional, efficient and compassionate approach with both internal and external parties
- Embody a results driven and detail oriented approach, having the ability to multi-task and meet deadlines under challenging work conditions
- Maintain detailed progress/completion notes on all work, including personnel assignments, changes, and document all in work order management system/technology.
- Respond to periodic after hours, on–call emergencies when needed
- Inform supervisor of progress, problems pertaining to maintenance issues;
- Be a team player, able to work independently, take direction from others & have strong communication skills
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions, diagrams and manufacturers manuals;
- High School graduate with at least two years of general maintenance or similar experience; and basic mechanical, plumbing and electrical knowledge
- Use varied hand and power tools; lift or move materials and/or equipment exceeding 50 lbs. with assistance of other staff or equipment.
- Vision is required to read printed materials, computer screen and distinguish between colors; operate keyboard driven equipment and computer.
- Ability to drive a motor vehicle and maintain a valid driver's license is preferred, though not required; must be available to work scheduled off-hours and emergency overtime, as required; and must be able to work in all weather conditions.
- Ensures compliance with legal, regulatory, audit, safety, and environmental issues
It is the policy of Sheltering Arms Children and Family Service that the Agency wholly complies with the equal treatment of all employees and applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination as to an individual’s perceived or actual race, creed, color, national origin, alienate, citizenship status, gender, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, partnership status, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, or veteran status in all employment decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, training and apprenticeship, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, layoff and termination and all other terms and conditions of employment.
Physical Requirements: Must have the ability to complete all standard administrative and support tasks including but not limited to climbing up and down stairs, operation of computers/phones/fax/printer/copy machine, and the ability to lift boxes, furniture, and equipment up to 30lbs. Must be able to travel from the various locations and sites of Sheltering Arms.