Group Teacher 2's Class- Early Childhood Education
Organization Overview: Sheltering Arms strengthens the education, wellbeing, and development of high-need children, adults, and families across the New York metro area. We serve nearly 20,000 people a year from the South Bronx to Far Rockaway. Through compassion, innovation, and partnership, we respond to our community’s greatest needs and enable individuals to reach the greatest heights of their potential. Joining our team is an opportunity to collaborate with hundreds of dedicated colleagues who represent diverse backgrounds and talents as we work together to make a measurable impact for our neighbors in need. Every role at Sheltering Arms brings with it new opportunities for advancement and development so that team members can achieve their professional goals while helping others reach for theirs.
Job Summary: Under the supervision of the Education Director, the Group Teacher supervises the planning and execution of a program to provide high quality education and childcare for children which takes into account the educational, social, developmental and health needs of the group, as well as the individual child. The Group Teacher will take responsibility for keeping the classroom environment including materials and equipment in good condition and will remove damaged/hazardous material. The Teacher will develop a program of sound educational goals appropriate to age and developmental level. The group teacher will assume responsibility for planning and conducting regular group conferences with classroom assistants.
Salary: 34-70k depending on credentials
- Daily schedule 8am-4pm, union benefits included
- Supervises 8-12 two year old children in all activities with an Assistant Teacher and a Teacher Aide
- Responsible for meeting with parents at least 3 times a year to discuss student progress
- Works within the framework of a DOE contracted site
- Promotes the professional growth of classroom association by sharing mutual knowledge
- Promotes sound parent relationships by attending and participating in group parent meetings
- Maintains objective staff relationships, daily health checks for children, and monitor child’s nutrition and health needs, including diapering and naps
- Conducts regular group conferences based on daily observation of assistant’s performance
- Share records with staff members when appropriate and in line with compliance standards
- Responsible for weekly progress reports and lesson planning including the use of our ChildPlus Software
- Implements effectively The Creative Curriculum for Infant, Toddlers, and Twos
- Completes child assessments related to curriculum on our Teaching Strategies Gold online software
- Completes all administrative responsibilities in a timely manner.
- Develops a sound program that meets child’s educational goals, including special needs children
- Uses community resources to enrich educational content
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood Education or Related Field Required
- Study Plans may be accepted if currently enrolled in a BA or MA program and has an Associates in ECE with field experience or 90 or more undergraduate credits
- Masters Degree in Early Childhood Education and NYS Teacher Certification preferred
- Experience in an Early Head Start or Head Start Program a plus
- Experience with the Teachstone-CLASS classroom scoring a plus
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
It is the policy of Sheltering Arms that the Agency wholly complies with the equal treatment of all employees and applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination as to an individual’s perceived or actual race, creed, color, national origin, alienate, citizenship status, gender, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, partnership status, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, or veteran status in all employment decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, training and apprenticeship, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, layoff and termination and all other terms and conditions of employment.