Social Worker - Drop In Center
Organization Overview: Sheltering Arms strengthens the education, wellbeing, and development of high-need children, adults, and families across the New York metro area. We serve nearly 20,000 people a year from the South Bronx to Far Rockaway. Through compassion, innovation, and partnership, we respond to our community’s greatest needs and enable individuals to reach the greatest heights of their potential. Joining our team is an opportunity to collaborate with hundreds of dedicated colleagues who represent diverse backgrounds and talents as we work together to make a measurable impact for our neighbors in need. Every role at Sheltering Arms brings with it new opportunities for advancement and development so that team members can achieve their professional goals while helping others reach for theirs.
Job Summary: Under the supervision of the Drop In Center Program Director, this individual will be responsible for assisting Drop-in Center youth and families’ access appropriate services and resources. Responsible for providing counseling to at-risk youth and their families.
- Provide counseling and assistance to prevent homelessness among at risk youth (minimum 75 cases annually)
- Provide clinical counseling for those youth that display a need for more intense counseling or are assessed to have possible mental health needs
- Complete any paperwork for youth in a timely fashion including but not limited to case notes, Bio Psycho Socials/assessments and referral material
- Work with homeless/street homeless youth to identify options for housing, including returning home or with family if deemed appropriate
- Act as a liaison with any existing service providers involved with the youth or their family
- Refer youth to outside services at other agencies on a as needed basis
- Assist families to become the young person’s primary support system
- Provide follow-up services to youth who reunite with their families
- Facilitate workshops/groups at the Drop-in center as part of programming responsibilities
- Submit timely reports to supervisor as requested
- Assist Director with programming and program development
- Conduct outreach and presentations as needed and as assigned
- All other relevant duties as delegated by supervisor
- MSW degree and LMSW or LCSW licensing
- 1-3 years experience working in human services field
- Knowledge and understanding of at risk youth population required
- Flexibility in schedule required
- For this role, COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement of the job.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
It is the policy of Sheltering Arms that the Agency wholly complies with the equal treatment of all employees and applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination as to an individual’s perceived or actual race, creed, color, national origin, alienate, citizenship status, gender, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, partnership status, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, or veteran status in all employment decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, training and apprenticeship, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, layoff and termination and all other terms and conditions of employment.
Physical Requirements: Must have the ability to complete all standard administrative and support tasks including but not limited to climbing up and down stairs, operation of computers/phones/fax/printer/copy machine, and the ability to lift boxes, furniture, and equipment up to 30lbs. Must be able to travel from the various locations and sites of Sheltering Arms Children and Family Services