Sheltering Arms strengthens the education, wellbeing, and development of high-need children, adults, and families across the New York metro area. We serve nearly 20,000 people a year from the South Bronx to Far Rockaway. Through compassion, innovation, and partnership, we respond to our community’s greatest needs and enable individuals to reach the greatest heights of their potential. Joining our team is an opportunity to collaborate with hundreds of dedicated colleagues who represent diverse backgrounds and talents as we work together to make a measurable impact for our neighbors in need. Every role at Sheltering Arms brings with it new opportunities for advancement and development so that team members can achieve their professional goals while helping others reach for theirs.
Sheltering Arms is seeking a Life Skills Coach for our Adolescent Residential Care (ARC) Program. The Life Skills Coach will provide the opportunity for NSP youth to exercise, socialize and share common interest through organized recreational and cultural activities. This position requires the application of specialized skills and training, planning and organizational skills to meet the particular needs of the group being served.
- Coordinate and facilitate structured activities/workshops for NSP residents.
- Maintain up to date program documentation.
- Work closely with Site Director and staff members to ensure quality services are provided.
- Attend all meetings as required by supervisor.
- Provide instruction to residents by explaining and demonstrating the proper techniques, procedures, and rules used in specific activities, games and sports.
- Evaluate the overall need, cost, quality, and effectiveness of activities and programs in order to provide recommendation for improvements.
- Conduct regular safety inspections of recreation equipment and grounds.
- Transport personnel, participants, supplies, and equipment as necessary for work activities.
- Develop a weekly calendar for activities that is distributed to all NSP staff. Prepare announcements, bulletins, flyers, calendars, and other promotional material.
- Requisition, secure, and inventory necessary materials, supplies and equipment.
- Motivate residents to become involved in recreation programs by participating and leading specific activities.
- Develop open communication with local parks department and recreation centers.
- Plan and develop cultural activities with supervisor’s approval.
- Support the principles of the Missouri Model with the end goal teaching the young people to make positive, lasting changes in their behavior by preparing them to be self-sufficient through education and work experience.
- Other duties that may be assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Recreation Therapy, Education, Health Education’, Health Services Administration; Public Health; and related field required.
- 2 years experience in a role where activities (arts, sports, etc) were facilitated with a group of teens.
- Positive attitude and professional demeanor, good ethical and moral character
- Must work well with others and have good written & verbal communication skills
- Possession of a Valid New York State Driver’s License.
- Able to drive a 10 to 15 passenger van.
- Knowledge of recreational programming and the basic fundamentals of common recreational sports and activities.
- Ability to operate a computer and associated software to prepare promotional materials, calendars, and reports.
- Must be able to pass required Safe Crisis Management (SCM) training.
It is the policy of Sheltering Arms that the Agency wholly complies with the equal treatment of all employees and applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination as to an individual’s perceived or actual race, creed, color, national origin, alienate, citizenship status, gender, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, partnership status, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, or veteran status in all employment decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, training and apprenticeship, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, layoff and termination and all other terms and conditions of employment.