Education Specialist, After School
- Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, NY
- Part Time
- After School
Sheltering Arms (formerly Episcopal Social Services) strengthens the education, wellbeing, and development of high-need children, adults, and families across the New York metro area. We serve nearly 20,000 people a year from the South Bronx to Far Rockaway. Through compassion, innovation, and partnership, we respond to our community’s greatest needs and enable individuals to reach the greatest heights of their potential. Joining our team is an opportunity to collaborate with hundreds of dedicated colleagues who represent diverse backgrounds and talents as we work together to make a measurable impact for our neighbors in need. Every role at Sheltering Arms brings with it new opportunities for advancement and development so that team members can achieve their professional goals while helping others reach for theirs.
Sheltering Arms Afterschool programs unlock student potential by providing a safe environment for them to develop away from the negative influences on their streets. Our unique combination of project-based learning, character development, and eye-opening opportunities puts at-risk children on the track to success. Learning comes to life with our hands on projects that enhance academic achievement. From book publishing to stock trading, students are putting their skills to work. Pre and Post exams ensure academic rigor in tutoring sessions and all Afterschool curricula. Our events and workshops provide gateways for parent involvement in children’s schooling, and a chance to bond with neighbors, teachers, and staff. Programming provides a safe space for children, as well as peace of mind to parents who work late to support their families. Our Afterschool clubs and trips also prepare youth to meet the future. A special emphasis on Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) programs ensures students gain the technical skills and insights they need to lead as future urban planners, computer programmers, doctors, and more!
Sheltering Arms is currently seeking Education Specialists for our After School Programs in Brooklyn, Harlem, the Bronx, Jamaica, and Far Rockaway (Queens) for the Spring 2019-20 school year. The Education Specialists will ensure that the afterschool program utilizes the best practices in youth development and SONYC program site; will identify suitable program curricula; facilitate the development of lesson plans and codify learning goals and objectives for all program activities; research to ensure that the best tools which promote program effectiveness are available to staff; and, in collaboration with Program Director, ensure that program model is effective. These are part time, seasonal positions for our Spring Program, Monday-Friday, $20.50 per hour/ 9 hours per week. Positions are available in Brooklyn, Harlem, Jamaica and Far Rockaway (Queens). Program operates Monday- Friday, approx 2-6pm.
- Develops and implements program curriculum, and works with SONYC program staff to develop sequential learning goals and objectives for all activities
- Ensures the integration of literacy and STEM-based learning and enrichment through sequenced, curriculum-based programming
- Works with program staff to create lesson plans for all program elements
- Ensures that implementation of program activities aligns with demonstrated best practices
- Provides continuous quality improvement
- Facilitates professional development trainings and workshops
- Researches best practices in afterschool programming and brings new ideas to program staff
- Identifies and develops supplementary resources to support students’ learning and interests
- Provides technical assistance to SONYC
- Bachelor's Degree in education or other related area required
- Two years of experience working with students in an after-school or school setting
- Solid presentation skills and demonstrated ability to speak in public and in front of large groups
- Familiarity with best practices in curriculum building
- Knowledge of literacy enrichment and lesson plan writing
- For this role, COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement of the job
Physical Requirements: Must have the ability to complete all standard administrative and support tasks including but not limited to climbing up and down stairs, operation of computers/phones/fax/printer/copy machine, and the ability to lift boxes, furniture, and equipment up to 30lbs. Must be able to travel from the various locations and sites of Sheltering Arms.
It is the policy of Sheltering Arms that the Agency wholly complies with the equal treatment of all employees and applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination as to an individual’s perceived or actual race, creed, color, national origin, alienate, citizenship status, gender, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, partnership status, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, or veteran status in all employment decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, training and apprenticeship, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, layoff and termination and all other terms and conditions of employment.