Youth Counselor, Safe Haven Jamaica (Per Diem)
- Queens, NY
- Full Time
- Youth Services
- Entry Level
Sheltering Arms strengthens the education, wellbeing, and development of high-need children, adults, and families across the New York metro area from the South Bronx to Far Rockaway. Joining our team is an opportunity to collaborate with hundreds of dedicated colleagues who represent diverse backgrounds and talents as we work together to make a measurable impact for our neighbors in need. Every role at Sheltering Arms brings with it new opportunities for advancement and development so that team members can achieve their professional goals while helping others reach for theirs.
Sheltering Arms is seeking to hire Youth Counselors Per Diem for our Queens location. The Youth Counselor provides a safe, secure, non-judgmental, respectful and supportive living environment for all residents. The Youth Counselor provides ongoing support and encouragement to all residents while enforcing a structured environment The Youth Counselor will provide skill building workshops to enhance independent living skills. The Youth Counselor will be responsible for the oversight of the residents and location. This position requires self-initiative, creativity an ability to work independently.
- Facilitates, develops and participates in skill building programs and provides coaching.
- Provide non-judgmental listening and encouragement to all youth.
- Maintain professional boundaries with all youth.
- Monitor residents and household operations while on shift.
- Answer telephone courteously; taking clear concise messages.
- Log all appropriate information in the logbook also log referrals and intakes.
- Ensure the residents are completing assigned chores daily.
- Keep common areas, house storage areas organized and clean.
- Inform Supervisor of needed repairs, supplies, improvements, etc. in a timely fashion.
- Prepare rooms for new residents moving in and clean out rooms after a resident moves out.
- Provide floor checks and room checks every 30 minutes throughout the entire shift.
- Address any concerns with residents in a respectful manner as they arise.
- Attend regular staff meetings and trainings.
- Maintain regular attendance and be on time for the start of the shift.
- Read staff communications at the beginning of every shift and update staff upon ending your shift.
- Keep proper censuses throughout the assigned shift.
- Assist in crisis intervention such as calling police, ambulance, or other emergency services. If emergency services are called inform your supervisor and the Director within an hour of the incident.
- Write incident reports for all situations that arise in the home.
- Maintain overall appearance of the home.
- Assist and perform in organizing and putting away all food orders and donations.
- High School Diploma or GED required
- Between 1-2 years of experience working in the field of human services
- Ability to handle crisis situations with minimum supervision.
- Experience conducting groups and developing appropriate and relevant youth programming
- For this role, COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement of the job.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
It is the policy of Sheltering Arms that the Agency wholly complies with the equal treatment of all employees and applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination as to an individual’s perceived or actual race, creed, color, national origin, alienate, citizenship status, gender, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, partnership status, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, or veteran status in all employment decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, training and apprenticeship, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, layoff and termination and all other terms and conditions of employment.
Physical Requirements: Must have the ability to complete all standard administrative and support tasks including but not limited to climbing up and down stairs, typing, operation of computers/phones/fax/printer/copy machine, and the ability to lift boxes, furniture, and equipment up to 30lbs. Must be able to travel from the various locations and sites of Sheltering Arms Children and Family Services