Director of Transitional Foster Care
Organization Overview: Sheltering Arms strengthens the education, wellbeing, and development of high-need children, adults, and families across the New York metro area. We serve nearly 20,000 people a year from the South Bronx to Far Rockaway. Through compassion, innovation, and partnership, we respond to our community’s greatest needs and enable individuals to reach the greatest heights of their potential. Joining our team is an opportunity to collaborate with hundreds of dedicated colleagues who represent diverse backgrounds and talents as we work together to make a measurable impact for our neighbors in need. Every role at Sheltering Arms brings with it new opportunities for advancement and development so that team members can achieve their professional goals while helping others reach for theirs.
About ORR: The Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) is a program of the federal Administration for Children and Families (ACF) within the United States Department of Health and Human Services. ORR programs provide short term home based transitional foster care and residential services for unaccompanied minors who immigrate to the United States without a parent or guardian.
Job Summary: As part of the Office of Refugee Resettlement leadership team, the Director of Transitional Foster Care will work with the Director of ORR to lead program staff in the transitional foster care program. This position will help ensure quality of transitional foster care and sponsor placement services for unaccompanied minors.
- Manage all operations of the home-based Transitional Foster Care services for 72 unaccompanied children
- Provide supervision to the Assistant Director, the Foster Parent Recruiters, the Foster Parent Trainer, the Intake Specialist, the Youth Specialist Supervisors and the Administrative Assistant
- Ensure the program meets all expectations regarding service provision and documentation as set forth in the ORR –UC regulations and program manual
- Manage the foster parent recruitment and training process
- Ensure professional development and training of staff
- Track program performance and the safety and well-being of the children
- Manage the recruitment and training of foster parents and training of staff
- Work with the quality improvement department to create program measures and track data and outcomes
- Work closely with the finance department to monitor budgets and program spending
- Represent the agency in meetings with ORR, OCFS, and other entities as needed
- Liaison with ORR and other entities to ensure compliance with program requirements
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Master Degree in Social Work (MSW) or equivalent degree; LMSW or LCSW preferred.
- A minimum of 2 years’ supervisory experience.
- Five years of experience in child welfare administration, immigration, unaccompanied minors and/or youth
- Strong knowledge of the immigration process and OCFS.
- Experience with ORR a plus
- Bilingual English Spanish or Creole a plus
- Excellent written, verbal, problem-solving, critical thinking and organizational skills