Organization Overview: Sheltering Arms strengthens the education, wellbeing, and development of high-need children, adults, and families across the New York metro area. We serve nearly 20,000 people a year from the South Bronx to Far Rockaway. Through compassion, innovation, and partnership, we respond to our community’s greatest needs and enable individuals to reach the greatest heights of their potential. Joining our team is an opportunity to collaborate with hundreds of dedicated colleagues who represent diverse backgrounds and talents as we work together to make a measurable impact for our neighbors in need. Every role at Sheltering Arms brings with it new opportunities for advancement and development so that team members can achieve their professional goals while helping others reach for theirs.
Position Summary: The Accounts Payable Specialist performs daily A/P functions to ensure timely and accurate recording of expenses, payment processing, processing of invoices via various portals, and assisting with audit requests.
- Update deposit log on a regular basis
- Book monthly journal entries, including 5 fringe allocation entries
- Book journal entries and A/P adjustments as needed to correct for errors
- Assist with resolution of Stale Outstanding Checks
- A/P Invoice processing, shared with other A/P staff, using Papersave, AutoEntry, WebPurchasing, and manual entries with concentration on high volume food vendors, DCC Local Welfare Fund entries, Workshop Stipends, 5 rent entries, and a portion of utilities invoices
- VENDOR AGING RECONCILIATION & RESOLUTION – Continuously request vendor aging statements, and reconcile and resolve all issues
- Processing of weekly paper check disbursements
- Process deposits of paper checks via remote deposit scanner, ensuring that coding is notated
- Monitoring of all PEX program accounts, ensuring that backup, coding, and approvals are received from all program heads to ensure timely recording of PEX expenses
- Provide copies of PEX backup to other staff, upon request
- Download all PEX program bank statements on a monthly basis
- Process invoices in Papersave, using AutoEntry process
- Upload positive pay files for up to four bank accounts
- Retrieve check images from online bank website, as requested by other staff
- Retrieve PDF images of invoices, as requested by other staff
- Maintain SSI Deposit Schedule based on EDI reports
- Run “Missing Cost Center” report on a monthly basis and research and resolve issues
Essential skills, experience, licensure, certification:
The qualifications for this position include but are not limited to:
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in an Accounting Role
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel
- Able to work independently and meet tight deadlines
- Highly organized, detail-oriented professional
- Experience with Financial Edge General Ledger System is desirable.
- Accounting Degree (completed or in progress)
- Demonstrated initiative in problem solving, ability to communicate effectively to members of other departments and meet regular and multiple deadlines, and ability to work in partnership with other staff members to complete projects.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
It is the policy of Sheltering Arms that the Agency wholly complies with the equal treatment of all employees and applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination as to an individual’s perceived or actual race, creed, color, national origin, alienate, citizenship status, gender, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, partnership status, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, or veteran status in all employment decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, training and apprenticeship, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, layoff and termination and all other terms and conditions of employment.