Assistant Residence Manager
- New York, NY
- Full Time
- Developmental Disability Services
Organization Overview: Sheltering Arms strengthens the education, wellbeing, and development of high-need children, adults, and families across the New York metro area. We serve nearly 20,000 people a year from the South Bronx to Far Rockaway. Through compassion, innovation, and partnership, we respond to our community’s greatest needs and enable individuals to reach the greatest heights of their potential. Joining our team is an opportunity to collaborate with hundreds of dedicated colleagues who represent diverse backgrounds and talents as we work together to make a measurable impact for our neighbors in need. Every role at Sheltering Arms brings with it new opportunities for advancement and development so that team members can achieve their professional goals while helping others reach for theirs.
Job Summary: Assist in the day-to-day management of the total operation of the unit, staff and residents. Assumes responsibility for the unit in the absence of the manager.
- Assist in the orientation, supervision and evaluation of direct care and housekeeping staff as well as students and volunteers
- Schedule staff coverage and verify time worked
- Accompany residents on appointments and activities. Help teach residents skills for daily living and socialization and assist staff to do the same
- Implement and maintain required training programs and daily activity schedules and assist staff to do the same
- Purchase and maintain required residents’ clothing, personal items, adaptive, and habilitation equipment
- Handle petty cash and receipts as assigned
- Carry out fire drills, evacuations and emergency procedures
- Participates as a member of the Interdisciplinary Team in the development and evaluation of each resident’s individualized Plan of Care
- Administer medication
- Perform house cleaning skills (bathroom, dining room, living room and general areas) with the assistance of the individuals
- Shop for food, household supplies and clothing
- Record daily log, activity sheets, trip evaluations and goal plans
- Take individuals to community stores, places of worship, recreation, health facilities etc. being careful to insure their safety while helping them learn how to manage community facilities
- Participate as a member of a Team in the development, implementation and evaluation of the individuals’ Plan of Care
- Attend staff meetings and in-service training sessions
- Other related tasks that may be assigned
- High School Diploma required
- Associates Degree or 60 Credits from accredited institution preferred.
- Four to five years community based residential program work
- Direct contact and work with developmentally disabled individuals
- Ability to supervise
- Training in medications, first aid, CPR and crises intervention
- For this role, COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement of the job.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
It is the policy of Sheltering Arms Children and Family Services that the Agency wholly complies with the equal treatment of all employees and applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination as to an individual’s perceived or actual race, creed, color, national origin, alienate, citizenship status, gender, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, partnership status, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, or veteran status in all employment decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, training and apprenticeship, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, layoff and termination and all other terms and conditions of employment.
Physical Requirements: Must have the ability to complete all standard administrative and support tasks including but not limited to climbing up and down stairs, operation of computers/phones/fax/printer/copy machine, and the ability to lift boxes, furniture, and equipment up to 30lbs. Must be able to travel from the various locations and sites of Sheltering Arms computers/phones/fax/printer/copy machine, and the ability to lift boxes, furniture, and equipment up to 30lbs. Must be able to travel from the various locations and sites of Sheltering Arms Children and Family Services.