Youth Specialist - Full Time
Organization Overview: Sheltering Arms strengthens the education, wellbeing, and development of high-need children, adults, and families across the New York metro area. We serve nearly 20,000 people a year from the South Bronx to Far Rockaway. Through compassion, innovation, and partnership, we respond to our community’s greatest needs and enable individuals to reach the greatest heights of their potential. Joining our team is an opportunity to collaborate with hundreds of dedicated colleagues who represent diverse backgrounds and talents as we work together to make a measurable impact for our neighbors in need. Every role at Sheltering Arms brings with it new opportunities for advancement and development so that team members can achieve their professional goals while helping others reach for theirs.
Job Summary: Maintains a safe environment in the Drop in Center. Organizes and develops activities and workshops. Prints and disseminates monthly activities calendar. Conducts outreach on the street, in the community and at events.
- Organizes youth programming including educational workshops, social activities and life skill groups and large scale panel and forum community events
- Creates and distributes monthly calendar
- Ensure that safety of all youth during drop-in hours, and the adherence of all rules and regulations for The Space
- Facilitates at least one on-going group/workshop per week based on the needs of the youth
- Represents Sheltering Arms (Youth Services Department) at appropriate community and program related forums and meetings when required
- Assists with establishing data tracking system for youth and enters data as required
- Performs emergency runaway/homeless intake assessments and provides referrals and assistance as needed
- Maintains relevant and up to date information: bulletin boards, resource material on tables and at safety stations (condoms, lube, sexual health information)
- Conducts individual and group outreach activities at least once a month targeting youth populations at risk and ensure regular and consistent attendance
- Establishes relationship with various community and/or youth serving agencies
- All other program and/or agency relevant duties and projects as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred (Associates degree and work experience may also be considered)
- Between 1-3 years of experience working with at risk youth
- Clear and concise oral and written communication essential and excellent inter-personal skills
- Experience conducting group activities and working with youth individually
- Flexibility in schedule required
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
It is the policy of Sheltering Arms Children and Family Services that the Agency wholly complies with the equal treatment of all employees and applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination as to an individual’s perceived or actual race, creed, color, national origin, alienate, citizenship status, gender, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, partnership status, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, or veteran status in all employment decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, training and apprenticeship, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, layoff and termination and all other terms and conditions of employment.