Mental Health Therapist - School Based (Far Rockaway)
- Far Rockaway, NY
- Full Time
- Mental Health Services
Organization Overview: Sheltering Arms strengthens the education, wellbeing, and development of high-need children, adults, and families across the New York metro area. We serve nearly 20,000 people a year from the South Bronx to Far Rockaway. Through compassion, innovation, and partnership, we respond to our community’s greatest needs and enable individuals to reach the greatest heights of their potential. Joining our team is an opportunity to collaborate with hundreds of dedicated colleagues who represent diverse backgrounds and talents as we work together to make a measurable impact for our neighbors in need. Every role at Sheltering Arms brings with it new opportunities for advancement and development so that team members can achieve their professional goals while helping others reach for theirs.
Job Summary: Under supervision of MH Supervisor, with latitude for independent judgment, the Therapist will be responsible for supporting Rockaway Collegiate High School students in addressing their mental health needs (i.e. anxiety, depression, substance abuse, family violence, trauma reactions and behavioral challenges). This will in turn increase their school performance.
- Provide school-based mental health services to students.
- Support school staff by facilitating crisis sessions with students and family members.
- Provide group treatment (with consent) to students as well as parent & staff workshops.
- Attend SBST and in-house meetings at school.
- Maintain excellent tracking and records in accordance with Governmental and Agency requirements.
- Develop a mental health workshop series.
- Complete home visits as needed.
- Refer students to academic and personal support services as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Licensed mental health provider strongly preferred
- Clinical work experience preferred
- Spanish speaking is preferred
- Knowledge of family systems;
- Strong writing, oral and interpersonal skills;
- The ability to work independently;
- Strong computer literacy;
- Work independently with work flexibility
- For this role, COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement of the job.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
It is the policy of Sheltering Arms that the Agency wholly complies with the equal treatment of all employees and applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination as to an individual’s perceived or actual race, creed, color, national origin, alienate, citizenship status, gender, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, partnership status, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, or veteran status in all employment decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, training and apprenticeship, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, layoff and termination and all other terms and conditions of employment.