Clinical Nurse Specialist, RN Consultant (Mental Health)
- Far Rockaway, NY
- Mental Health Services
Sheltering Arms strengthens the education, wellbeing, and development of high-need children, adults, and families across the New York metro area. We serve nearly 20,000 people a year from the South Bronx to Far Rockaway. Through compassion, innovation, and partnership, we respond to our community’s greatest needs and enable individuals to reach the greatest heights of their potential. Joining our team is an opportunity to collaborate with hundreds of dedicated colleagues who represent diverse backgrounds and talents as we work together to make a measurable impact for our neighbors in need. Every role at Sheltering Arms brings with it new opportunities for advancement and development so that team members can achieve their professional goals while helping others reach for theirs.
Far too often, mental health is connected with a stigma. Sheltering Arms Mental Health Program offers education to families, and promoting awareness that mental wellness is fundamental to economic, physical, and social well-being, and can be affected by serious situations, such as job loss or domestic abuse. Sheltering Arms takes a non-traditional approach to assisting families with the mental health services they need most, providing significant resources to obtain services. Throughout decades of mental wellness leadership, Sheltering Arms has developed best practices which have changed lives, rewritten the narrative around mental health, and leveled the playing field.
Sheltering Arms is seeking a Clinical Nurse Specialist (RN) to join the Mental Health Clinic (MHC) management team. The RN services as a liaison between the MHC and/or the community provider to ensure the coordination of care. The RN will collaborate with the MHC Associate Directors to monitor the quality improvement of adherence to patient care and treatment plans; provide and monitor patient injectable treatment, and adhere to infection control procedures; as well as monitor the health care progress of clinic's clients, and devise methods of compliance as determined by the Office of Mental Health. This is a Consultant position in Jamaica and Far Rockaway, Queens.
- Provide quarterly utilization review of medical record to ensure appropriateness of treatment plan, psychotropic medication adherence, and documentation of safety plan for High Risk patients
- Provide Injectable psycho tropic treatment on-site, and carry caseload to ensure monitoring of patient adherence and compliance to treatment
- Ensure adherence to infection control procedures related to Injectable medication, including ordering and maintaining inventory of necessary supplies
- In conjunction with MD, ensure communication regarding side effects of injectable medication, and/or pertinent lab screening
- Participate in High Risk and/or incident review committee meetings
- Attend 1 to 2 monthly supervisory sessions to ensure communication regarding adherence and compliance in medical records through utilization reviews
- Assist with the review and preparation of case record reviews and audits, i.e. PSYCKES
- A Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing, plus at least two years of experience in a medical and/or psychiatric setting is required
- Utilize critical thinking, demonstrate flexibility, and contribute to the successful operation of the mental health clinic and transitional residence
- Model professional behavior at all times, utilizing tact and diplomacy when interacting with staff, clients, and community providers
For this role, COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement of the job.
It is the policy of Sheltering Arms that the Agency wholly complies with the equal treatment of all employees and applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination as to an individual’s perceived or actual race, creed, color, national origin, alienate, citizenship status, gender, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, partnership status, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, or veteran status in all employment decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, training and apprenticeship, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, layoff and termination and all other terms and conditions of employment.