Senior Staff Accountant
Organization Overview: Sheltering Arms strengthens the education, wellbeing, and development of high-need children, adults, and families across the New York metro area. We serve nearly 20,000 people a year from the South Bronx to Far Rockaway. Through compassion, innovation, and partnership, we respond to our community’s greatest needs and enable individuals to reach the greatest heights of their potential. Joining our team is an opportunity to collaborate with hundreds of dedicated colleagues who represent diverse backgrounds and talents as we work together to make a measurable impact for our neighbors in need. Every role at Sheltering Arms brings with it new opportunities for advancement and development so that team members can achieve their professional goals while helping others reach for theirs.
Position Summary: The Senior Staff Accountant supervises entries into the general ledger for accounts receivable, cash receipts, accounts payable as well as reconciling/analyzing accounts and participating in the monthly close. The Senior Staff Accountant is a leader of the monthly close process.
- Supervise the posting of cash receipts and receivables
- Analyze and reconcile accounts including income statement and balance sheet accounts
- Analyze and reconcile accounts payable including American Express and other accounts, working with the Accounts Payable team.
- Prepare various journal entries including those to record payroll benefit payments, 403b and union dues.
- Participate in the development of monthly and quarterly financial statements
- Assist with annual agency audit and prepare audit documentation for funder audits
- Perform general accounting and organize financial documents, materials and files
- Ensure the confidentiality and security of all financial files
- Analyze and reconcile accounts and other special projects as assigned
- Bachelors’ degree in Finance or Accounting or equivalent experience
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office products, specifically Excel including VLOOKUP and Pivot Tables, Word
- Strong verbal, written, communication and documenting skills.
- Must be a self-starter, quick learner, assertive, and work independently
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented professional
- Experience with Financial Edge General Ledger System or comparable application is desirable.
- Demonstrated initiative in problem solving, ability to communicate effectively, meet regular deadlines and be able to work in partnership with other staff members to complete projects
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
It is the policy of Sheltering Arms that the Agency wholly complies with the equal treatment of all employees and applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination as to an individual’s perceived or actual race, creed, color, national origin, alienate, citizenship status, gender, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, partnership status, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, or veteran status in all employment decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, training and apprenticeship, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, layoff and termination and all other terms and conditions of employment.