Sheltering Arms strengthens the education, wellbeing, and development of high-need children, adults, and families across the New York metro area from the South Bronx to Far Rockaway. Joining our team is an opportunity to collaborate with hundreds of dedicated colleagues who represent diverse backgrounds and talents as we work together to make a measurable impact for our neighbors in need. Every role at Sheltering Arms brings with it new opportunities for advancement and development so that team members can achieve their professional goals while helping others reach for theirs.
About the Program: Rapid Rehousing for Young Adults is a solution to homelessness designed to help young adults aged 18-24 quickly exit homelessness to permanent housing. The program provides rental assistance and support services that are tailored to the unique needs of the young person.
Job Summary: The Education and Employment Specialist is key in helping youth connect with jobs, job readiness training and continuing education through developing contacts and networks in the public and private sector.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Assist youth in obtaining and maintaining employment that is consistent with their individual vocational goals.
- Assess youth’s vocational functioning on an ongoing basis utilizing background information and work experiences.
- Conduct job development and job search activities directed towards positions that are individualized to the interests and uniqueness of the population served.
- Provide outreach to employer contacts and serving as an advocate for youth providing necessary engagement with participants and staff to connect them to opportunities.
- Assist youth with concerning educational and employment issues.
- Help youth to develop an individualized career development and employment plan.
- Assist youth to create a portfolio i.e.; resume, cover letter, a list of references, copies of vital documents such as birth certificate, social security card, etc.
- Develop appropriate career exploration activities, including internships and job placements.
- Provide education on employment soft skills, including interview techniques and strategies, importance of arriving on time for work, what to wear, and respectful communication with a supervisor.
- Create partnerships with employers, local businesses, and schools.
- Act as a source of support for youth and provide appropriate feedback to promote youth success. Track employment placement outcomes and retention for participants and utilize data to improve the quality of services provided.
- Other duties that may be assigned.
Qualifications and Skills
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college
- Two years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to employment or education development required
- Working knowledge of NYC workforce development systems
- Excellent communication, planning, organizational and multi-tasking abilities.
- Ability to motivate participants toward full-time, entry-level employment.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel
- Comfort traveling throughout NYC
- Prior experience with facilitating training preferred
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
It is the policy of Sheltering Arms that the Agency wholly complies with the equal treatment of all employees and applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination as to an individual’s perceived or actual race, creed, color, national origin, alienate, citizenship status, gender, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, partnership status, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, or veteran status in all employment decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, training and apprenticeship, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, layoff and termination and all other terms and conditions of employment.