Assistant Teacher, Early Childhood Education
- Harlem, the Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn, NY
- Full Time
- Early Childhood Education
Sheltering Arms strengthens the education, wellbeing, and development of high-need children, adults, and families across the New York metro area. We serve nearly 20,000 people a year from the South Bronx to Far Rockaway. Through compassion, innovation, and partnership, we respond to our community’s greatest needs and enable individuals to reach the greatest heights of their potential. Joining our team is an opportunity to collaborate with hundreds of dedicated colleagues who represent diverse backgrounds and talents as we work together to make a measurable impact for our neighbors in need. Every role at Sheltering Arms brings with it new opportunities for advancement and development so that team members can achieve their professional goals while helping others reach for theirs.
Sheltering Arms is currently seeking Assistant Teachers to work closely with the Group Teacher to plan and execute a program to provide day care for children ages 2-4 years old, taking into account the educational; social; developmental; and health needs of the class, as well as individual children. By providing a vast array of support to the classroom, the Assistant Teacher plays in integral role in the education of each child. Full Time positions are available in Manhattan (Harlem), the Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens. Comprehensive benefits package included. Union (DC 1707, Local 205) roles available.
- Assisting with all activities that take part in the day care center, including: program activities, off-site trips; planning and execution of an education enriched day care program
- Working within the framework of the center to carry out its functions, policies and procedures; Keeps equipment/materials and removes all hazardous materials
- Planning the use of community resources for educational enrichment; Developing/maintaining a positive working relationship with parents
- Attending/participating in regularly scheduled classroom conferences and parent meetings; Participating in required/relevant trainings
- Maintains records/documentation concerning the development of the program and children's progress
- Takes responsibility for the classroom in the group teacher’s absence
- Other duties as assigned
- Associates Degree in Early Childhood Education required; Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood Education preferred; OR High School Diploma + CDA attained
- At least 3 years of experience working with children
- *NYS Assistant Teacher Certification + DASA Certificate required for the Assistant Teacher positions in the Therapeutic Nursery (Harlem)
- Bilingual Spanish preferred
- Proficiency utilizing Microsoft Office
- First Aid and CPR trainings required and recertified as needed
- For this role, COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement of the job.
It is the policy of Sheltering Arms that the Agency wholly complies with the equal treatment of all employees and applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination as to an individual’s perceived or actual race, creed, color, national origin, alienate, citizenship status, gender, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, partnership status, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, or veteran status in all employment decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, training and apprenticeship, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, layoff and termination and all other terms and conditions of employment.
Physical Requirements: Must have the ability to complete all standard administrative and support tasks including but not limited to climbing up and down stairs, operation of computers/phones/fax/printer/copy machine, and the ability to lift boxes, furniture, and equipment up to 30lbs. Must be able to travel from the various locations and sites of Sheltering Arms. As a day care worker, providing quality care for children will require a high degree of physical exertion. Must have the ability to lift and hold children, sit down on the floor and stand up frequently and walk quickly around the classroom. In addition due to the high level of energy in the clients during all physical activities and outings, must be able to run, play, and travel with the children. Physical and PPD clearance required.